REFERENCES TO SUPPORT AN APPLICATION
The AIB requires that all applicants for admission as either a Member or Fellow tender two (separate) professional references in support of their application.
A Professional Reference means a letter about an employee or work colleague clearly setting out the individual’s professional conduct, character and working skill and knowledge during the period of the employment with the applicant, which usually gives a good report about the individual. For the purposes of processing a membership application, AIB requires two Professional References that should specifically set out and provide examples that:
- The applicant has a reputation for high ethical standards and a high quality of work; and
- The applicant has held the positions described in their resume.
The references should be provided by an employer and / or work colleagues of the applicant who are fully conversant with the expertise of the applicant. All references must be signed and dated within 6 months prior to submitting an application for membership or an application to upgrade membership. Ideally references should be provided by (in order of preference):
- A Member or Fellow of the Australian Institute of Building (AIB);
- A Member or Fellow of either the New Zealand Institute of Building (NZIOB) or the UK Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB-UK);
- A Member or Fellow of either the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS) or the Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS); or
- A Member or Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD), Engineers Australia (IEAust), the Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia (IAMA) or the the (Royal) Australian Institute of Architects (AIA).